As a reminder that our 2021 training schedule will end on September 30, 2021. Traditionally, we hold our Fall & Winter training indoors at Burnaby South Secondary school between the months of October through to March. But like last year, indoor facilities have been limited and/or restricted due to COVID-19. As a result, we have not been able to secure our facility for indoor use this year. Burnaby Striders will remain closed during the off-season and will look to re-open again for training starting in March 2022. Further updates and details will be shared early next year. Until then, please do continue to stay safe and remember to always stay active!
With an extremely challenging year and a half, it was so refreshing to see our young athletes out again competing and having fun. This past weekend was the BC JD Challenge track meet, held in Abbotsford, BC. This event was organized in place of the traditional annual BC Athletics JD Championship and was exclusive to the Zone 3 & 4 athletes only.
Burnaby Striders had a terrific showing with majority attending for the first time and all going home with personal best times! The final meet results are now posted and can be viewed by clicking here.
It’s always exciting, as every run produces an official performance time and can be used as building blocks for the future. Congratulations to all who attended and we look forward to seeing you back at training through the rest of this summer! Please check out a few pictures (click here) from this past weekend!
As a note, the U16 and older groups will have their respective Regional track meet this coming weekend on July 24-25, 2021. We will be sure to share more soon!
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic BC Athletics will be cancelling the 2021 Junior Development Pentathlon Championships and Junior Development Track & Field Championships. In their place, they are introducing the Junior Development Regional Track & Field Challenge!
Bringing young athletes together, these fun competitions will be comprised of 6 events:
- 60m/80m Hurdles
- Long Jump
- Shot Put
Come out and Run/Wheel, Jump, & Throw with other JD athletes in your region. Plus, the top age group performer in each region will be eligible for a Grand Prize!
All able-bodied and para athletes with a current BC Athletics Junior Development Training or Competitive membership may participate.
Burnaby Striders athletes are part of Zone 4 and event is held on July 17, 2021. Hosted by Valley Royals and held at the Rotary Stadium in Abbotsford. Registration deadline is July 15, 2021. Please click here to register at Trackie. Meet entry fees are not covered by Burnaby Striders and are paid by each athlete. You can visit BC Athletics for more information.
For the U16 and above athletes, BC Athletics has announced the 2021 Event Group Challenges (in lieu of the Provincial Championship Jamboree) on July 17-18, 2021 (COMBINED EVENTS) and July 24-25, 2021 (ALL OTHER EVENTS). You can look forward to the following events (including para):
- COMBINED EVENTS – Hosted by: Okanagan Athletic Club, Apple Bowl Stadium
- SPRINTS/JUMPS/HURDLES/WHEELCHAIR RACING – Hosted by: Langley Mustangs, McLeod Stadium
- ENDURANCE – Hosted by: Prairie Inn Harriers, Centennial Stadium, University of Victoria
- THROWS – Hosted by: Kamloops Track and Field Club, Hillside Stadium
- COMBINED EVENTS: http://www.trackiereg.com/combinedevents2021
- SPRINTS/JUMPS/WHEELCHAIR RACING: Register here at Trackie
- ENDURANCE: BC Endurance Challenge Online Registration | TrackieReg
- THROWS: BCA Events Group Challenge Throws Online Registration | TrackieReg
Choose your favourite events, and get ready to race, jump, throw or wheel. We can’t wait to see you out there! For more information, please visit BC Athletics.
Membership Variance for 2021 approved by the BC Athletics Board of Directors
These events will be open to athletes aged 14 – Senior, who either hold a BC Athletics Training or Competitive Membership. Only those athletes with a BC Athletics Competitive membership are eligible for results to be recorded for Provincial and National rankings. Those athletes with a Training membership are still eligible to participate with the purchase of a Day of Event Membership (no results will be recorded by BC Athletics).
Registration is now open for all New Members & Returning Members to sign up for our upcoming 2021 track season. Our training will commence on March 29, 2021 at Burnaby Central Secondary School, so don’t delay.
If you are interested to join Burnaby Striders as a new member, please review the information in the link below:
If you wish to return as a member of Burnaby Striders for the 2021 track season, we encourage you to renew your membership at the online link below to avoid your membership from lapsing in the new year. The membership renewal will be active until the end of Dec 31, 2021.
Please keep in mind that we are still operating under COVID Return to Training Restrictions. Please take the time to read the COVID Guidelines prior to showing up for practice.
Thank you and see you all soon!
Happy New Year to you all! We hope you had a restful holiday season and remained safe and healthy throughout. Best wishes to everyone for 2021, as it will be sure to be another busy year ahead!
We wanted to provide a brief interim update for you as we get into a new year. Some summaries are highlighted below:
- Burnaby Striders held it’s annual AGM meeting back in December 2020 and recapped our past year, reviewed COVID impacts and discussed our financial budget heading into 2021. Overall, we have been working as best we could under the provincial restrictions to offer training to our athletes in a safe environment. This will not change as we head into 2021 and we will continue to work closely with the various governing bodies to pivot where needed in order to balance out our program delivery with the safety of our athletes. We will also be looking to add to our coaching roster for this new year and will be reaching out for potential candidates and referrals. During these uncertain times, it will be important for us to have sufficient resources in place. More information will be shared on this site, as we get them.
- BC Athletics also held a year end meeting with the various track organizations, clubs and officials to discuss what the outlook for 2021 might look like. Much of the short term view will be dictated by our Provincial Health Order, which is set for a review on February 5, 2021. BC Athletics will be gathering feedback from the various host organizers on the logistics surrounding upcoming events and determine if it’s possible under the current restrictions. Other aspects, like financial cost and volunteer resources, will all need to be considered when making these decisions. We will continue to share updates as we get them on what the upcoming “season” might shape up to look like.
- From Burnaby Striders standpoint, we have not been permitted to book our usual Burnaby South indoor facility this year and the school remains closed to outside organizations. So our usual October to March winter training season is cancelled. Instead, we will be extending our outdoor training at Burnaby Central from March 29, 2021 all the way through to Sept 30, 2021. Further details will be shared, as we get closer to Spring, but we will have this reserved with the City for the time being.
- Lastly, in terms of memberships and renewals for 2021, we did discuss at our AGM meeting that our expectations would be to reduce the membership fees by $50 per athlete across the board. This discount is to reflect the cancellation of our indoor facility for this year only. Although we are extending our outdoor training schedule, there will still be some savings that we can pass down to each athlete. We will not formally open up registration, until after we hear from our Provincial Health Officer on February 5, 2021. Further communication will follow on when to sign up.
There are many moving parts and we appreciate all of your understanding and patience. For now, please continue to stay safe and healthy and we will share more developments, as they unfold in the coming weeks.
This has been an unprecedented year and we’ve all been called to be adaptable to our ever-changing environments. We are appreciative that everyone who’s participated has been extremely supportive and cooperative – your patience and understanding during this time is greatly valued.
We are thankful we have been able to resume our Spring training right through to October 1, 2020, with no issues. It has been terrific to see the athletes be able to engage in active training, and also have fun doing it too. It’s important that we maintain not only our physical health, but also our social & emotional well-being.
As you know, we extended our training period right through September to help make up for the lost time during the Spring lockdown. Normally at about this time, Burnaby Striders begins their indoor training season at Burnaby South Secondary School, and we would train through the winter months. Unfortunately, the School Board is not ready yet to approve any facility use by outside organizations. They are monitoring the situation closely and will advise if statuses change. So for the foreseeable future, we are not anticipating training to start back up for the balance of this calendar year.
We will continue to keep you updated and will share more on what our year would look like for 2021, including details surrounding registration, training & competition. Further conversations will be had with the various governing bodies, including BC Athletics, the City of Burnaby and the Burnaby School Board.
Thank you for your attention and please stay safe!
Executive Board Committee
We hope all of our members, volunteers and athletes continue to stay healthy and safe, as our summer is coming to a close. With school resuming in early September, there will continue to be uncertainty and we are all asked to be flexible and adaptable, as our health officials evaluate what is best for our community and it’s people. Your understanding and support is extra critical during this time.
As you are aware, Burnaby Striders started back up it’s training on July 20, 2020 and we’ve been running right through with a record number of athletes turning out. This is extremely encouraging to see, that many still want to maintain active exercise while doing so in a responsible manner.
A reminder that we will have our Burnaby Central track facility available for training up until Thursday, October 1, 2020. Thereafter, the City of Burnaby has not given any further approvals yet on training extensions. Traditionally, Burnaby Striders transitions into our indoor facility at Burnaby South Secondary school for the Fall & Winter months. But at this time, we have not received any confirmation yet.
For the time being, we encourage you to continue showing up to our practices at Central until October 1st. Thereafter, we will be sure to keep you posted on any updates and developments on when our Fall/Winter training can restart. The safety of our athletes is our utmost priority.
Thank you and please continue to stay safe!
Practices are held Monday-Thursday from 6:00 – 8:30pm at Burnaby Central (6011 Deer Lake Pkwy, Burnaby, BC) until Thursday, October 1, 2020
We are excited to announce that we will be resuming our training sessions starting on July 20th, 2020 at our outdoor Burnaby Central facility. We greatly appreciate your patience and understanding these past few months, as the priority was to ensure health & safety of all of our members, coaches and community. After extensive discussions and review with the City of Burnaby, BC Athletics and all associated governing bodies, we are confident we will be able to restart outdoor training activities for our athletes in a safe and responsible manner. Although all formal track & field competition is cancelled for the season, Burnaby Striders encourages our athletes to remain active through the balance of the summer.
There are a few critical steps that you need to take, before rejoining us on July 20th. An email would have been sent out last week with a MANDATORY requirement to complete before you/your athlete is permitted to attend practice. This relates to:
- Informed Consent & Assumption of Risk Agreement
- Release of Liability
- Waiver of Claims & Indemnity Agreement
- Covid-19 Questionnaire, Attestation, Participant Agreement and Contact Tracing Information
If you or your athlete choose to return to training, please note that the following will apply at all sessions and will be enforced by our coaches. We would greatly appreciate your extra cooperation, as these are extraordinary times. Please note the following:
- Participant MUST complete the above mentioned Consent & Attestations before being allowed to train.
- Participant will be asked a pre-screening “Athlete Check-In Questionnaire” and will let the coaches know if they have experienced any of the symptoms in the last 14 days.
- Participant agree to stay home if feeling sick and remain home for 14 days if experiencing COVID-19 symptoms.
- Participant agrees to sanitize their hands upon entering and exiting the facility, with soap & water or sanitizer.
- Participant agrees to sanitize the equipment (shared and personal equipment) they use throughout their practice with approved cleaning products provided by the club/training group.
- Participant agrees to continue to follow social distancing protocols of staying at least 2m away from others.
- Participant agrees to not share any equipment during practice times.
- Participant agrees to abide by all of their Clubs/Training Group COVID-19 Policies and Guidelines.
- Participant understands that if they do not abide by the aforementioned policies/guidelines that they may be asked to leave the club/training group for up to 14 days to help protect the participant and others around them.
- Participant acknowledges that continued abuse of the policies and/or guidelines may result in the temporary suspension of their club membership.
- Participant acknowledges that there are risks associated with entering training facilities and/or participating in club/training group activities, and that the measures taken by the club/training group and participants, including those set out above and under the COVID-19 Response Plan and Return to Sport Protocols, will not entirely eliminate those risks.
Practices will be held Monday-Thursday from 6:00 – 8:30pm at Burnaby Central (6011 Deer Lake Pkwy, Burnaby, BC) until Thursday, October 1, 2020. Thereafter, we will be reviewing our indoor contract with the City to better understand what our Fall indoor training schedule will look like, so further updates to follow on that.
We understand these are difficult times, but have been encouraged to see our local communities come together and take the necessary steps to getting “back to business”. We look forward to seeing everyone again, in a safe and responsible manner. Please do take the time to reference the supporting material below. If you have any questions, don’t hesitate to let us know. Hope to see you all out soon!
Additional Resources & Links can be found below:
BC Athletics issued an update today on COVID-19. Please see below:
Based on the continuing escalation of COVID-19 and in discussion with Greg White, Chair, BC Athletics Board of Directors, together with having received a report of non-social / physical distancing at a Club Track & Field practice and concerns raised by the Provincial Health Officer, BC Health Minister and Mayors of Cities and Districts that the public was not adhering to the absolute need for Social / Physical Distancing, the BC Athletics Board of Directors want to immediately advise all BC Athletics Individual Members, Member Clubs, and Club Members of the following change to the Training Guidelines in the BC Athletics Update – Coronavirus (COVID 19) #4:
2020-03-23 – Until further notice, BC Athletics clubs are to suspend training sessions due to the COVID-19 health crisis. This notice extends to BC Athletics member coaches who are coaching outside of the normal club organized training sessions and coaches who are not members of a club.
Athletes wanting to train through this period can do so on their own, without a coach present.
We expect all of our membership to conform with the spirit and letter of Government (Federal, Provincial, Local) mandates to help reduce the risk to our communities during this difficult time.
Thank you for your attention and stay safe.
Board of Directors and Staff of BC Athletics.
For full announcement, please visit the BC Athletics website here.
Based on this, Burnaby Striders will be suspending all club activities & training, until further notice. Our priority is to ensure our athletes, coaches and communities are safe and healthy. Let’s all do our part with social distancing, practicing good hygiene and staying at home where possible. We will commit to sharing further updates with you in the coming weeks, as we closely monitor further developments.
Thank you for your understanding and patience, during this very challenging time.
This is to let you know that BC Athletics is publishing Coronavirus (COVID 19) Updates on the BC Athletics website.
You are advised to check for updates which include:
- Advisory notices from BC and Cdn Health Authorities
- Mandates from Provincial Authorities
- Tips for event organizers
- Event cancellations
- Other related information
BC Athletics appreciates that this may be a lot to consider but it is important that collectively we do what we can to help limit the impact of the virus. Please contact the BC Athletics Office – firstname.lastname@example.org tel: 604-333-3552, if you have further questions or need clarification on any of the information provided.
For Burnaby Striders, we have our Spring outdoor training scheduled to start at Burnaby Central Secondary on March 30th. If there are any required changes or cancellations, further communication will be provided.
Thank you for your attention!